Comparing $latex \LaTeX$ versus WYSIWYG: The Beauty of LaTeX
Different IDEs for creating $latex \LaTeX$ documents are listed and discussed here
Defining colors in $latex \LaTeX$ using Sage: Paste the Color Chooser Code on the Python/Sage page into a Sage cell (press Shift Enter ) for the fastest way to define colors.
Good overview of $latex \LaTeX$: Getting Something Out of LaTeX
Good references for learning $latex \LaTeX$:
- LaTeX Primer
- LaTeX Wikibooks
- The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX
- Online tutorial
- PSTricks PDFs
- Tikz/pgf plots documentation
- Minimal Introduction to Tikz
- pgfplots manual
HOW DO I...?
This section will answer LaTeX basics. You should create and save your tex file with an IDE. Various IDE's are discussed on one of the links above. TeXworks, Kile, and TeXnicenter are good choices, depending on your operating system. I'm using Gummi because I get a live preview without needing to compile. The engine is pdfTex. Engines are discussed here.
- Create a simple document?
- Change the default fontsize?
- Change the default fontsize (2)?
- Start a new line(s) or page? (vertical spacing)
- Emphasize text (bold, italics,...)
- Change the spacing between lines and paragraphs?
- Include mathematical formulas?
- Type using color?
- Change the default font?
- Change the default margins?
- Add horizontal space?
- Create a list?
- Insert a picture?
- Align Text (left, right, center)?
- Change the page style (number/header/footer)?
- Add graphics and text to a picture?
- Insert a hyperlink?
- Create a table?
- Create a multicolumn document?
- Get LaTeX to put the picture/table where I want?
- Create a tightly cropped picture?
- Get fancy text boxes with logos?
amsmath: the American Mathematical Society's package is the gold standard of typesetting mathematics
amsthm: provides typesetting of theorems, lemmas, corollaries, etc. using AMS standards.
amsfonts: extended font capabilities for those who have a lot of math in their document.
mathtools: an extension of math capabilities of amsmath
skmath: yet more math support for vectors and other high school math topics
nccmath: even more support for math, especially in typesetting equations
sagetex: gives you the access to Sage, the best open source CAS on the planet.
pgfplots: for creating high quality plots of functions and data
exam: for typesetting exams
spreadtab: for building tables as is done in a spreadsheet
tkz-base: basic control of graphing in the Cartesian plane
tkz-graph: for drawing graph theory graphs
tkz-berge: for drawing graph theory graphs
skak: Fonts and macros for typesetting chess games
texmate: for chess notation
chessboard: for printing chessboards
xcolor: to use color in your document
pdf/tikz: THE package for creating graphics
geometry: gives you control over your margins
hf-tikz: lets you highlight formulas and parts of formulas
soul: for highlighting, underlining, striking out, and more
bclogo: for color boxes and logs
tcolorbox: for colored and framed boxes
graphicx: for inserting jpg, pgn, pdf and other graphics into your document
tikzsymbols: for symbols and emoticons to spice up your document
microtype: other typesetting rule refinements to make LaTeX look even nicer
beamer: for slide shows
multicol: allows you to typesetting your document using multiple columns
blindtext: creates filler for your document
lipsum: another dummy text package
Sites with lots of Templates to look at:
Nice Book Templates (personal favorites):
- Book design inspired by Edward Tufte
- PacketPubTemplate (hack of template from jqueralt posted here. Original template in Catalan.) You'll need this: Remember graphic for the template to compile.
CV Template (personal favorite): ModernCV (with cover letter)
- Blackboard Beamer Theme can be downloaded here
- Variation with Green chalkboard, chalk, and eraser
Thesis Template (personal favorite): Classic Thesis Template
Math Journal Article: MathArticleTemplate (.tex) [4 different font choices]
Math Journal Article: ClassicArticle (.tex) Classic Thesis style
Download the file: SageCodeExample (.tex)
"Classic" Letter template
Download the file: ClassicLetter (.tex)